What Portable Power Banks are Allowed on Planes?
Modern smartphones perform many functions, replacing some other technology. But with the active use of the smartphone, its battery does not last long. For many people, work is associated with the active use of gadgets. Therefore, not so long ago, a portable battery was invented. This device is necessary even for those who use their smartphone little. The battery will be needed when traveling to nature or on a long flight by plane.
Can I take a power bank portable (power bank) on a plane? This question is asked by almost every gadget user who has a long flight ahead. A portable charger works on the principle that it is charged separately from the phone and stores a certain amount of charge in itself. Then the gadget is charged through it. The portable charger is designed for a certain maximum amount of charge. For some power banks, it only lasts for a couple of full charges of the smartphone, and for some, even for 8.Is it Possible to Have a Power Bank on a Plane
Can I bring a power bank on an airplane? There are several rules here:
- It should have a non-erased marking indicating its power. The maximum battery capacity allowed for transportation on an airplane is 20,000 mAh. If the marking is erased, then it is almost impossible to prove the power of the power bank.
- The second important rule is that the power bank must be charged. It can be taken for testing, and if it is discharged and will not turn on, it can be removed. So if it is decided to carry this device, it must be charged. Some airlines put restrictions on charging. For example, the device should be charged no more than 30%. This is enough to turn on and show the state of the bank at the entrance.
- The third rule is not to take fake brands. Some people buy them to save money. And the point is not that it will not be distinguished from the real one, but that the risk of an explosion will be very impressive. There are already cases of explosions on board aircraft. So you should take care of your safety. If the original was bought, then the risk is minimal. A thorough check is carried out at Moscow airports.
Checking in the device is prohibited. In China, they plan to allow such transportation in the future, but it is not yet known how soon. Either they will ask you to remove it from your baggage, or you will remove it yourself, attaching a declaration, or you will be removed from the flight. The best thing is when they ask to be removed. Firstly, it is not entirely pleasant when strangers climb into a suitcase. Secondly, you can take the power bank with you. If the airport staff removed it, then you can say goodbye to portable charging. And in the process of searching for it, a mess is formed in the suitcase.
In the worst case, due to charging, they will be removed from the flight. This happens when the charger is discovered late and it is no longer possible to contact the owners of the suitcase. If the suitcase has a lock or other obstacles to its opening, then the owners are simply removed from the flight. Therefore, it is better to bring it with you.
Power Banks Hand Luggage
The charger is allowed to be taken in hand luggage. The rule applies to most airlines, you don't have to worry about confiscation. We remember the existing restrictions on the permissible power of the device, the volume of the battery. Power banks with a capacity of more than 10,000 mAh are prohibited, some companies allow you to take up to 20,000 mAh. Large numbers are an exception.
Hand luggage is the easiest way to take your power bank on a plane.
Power Banks in The Luggage Compartment
Almost all airline companies have banned the storage of batteries in the luggage compartment. Carrying in the luggage compartment complicates the control of the battery. If a device is found on a person at the baggage check stage, the passenger will be forced to transfer the device to hand luggage, possibly confiscated. Remember the rules when planning your travels. Knowing the conditions will help save the bank.
Is There Any Danger While Flying
It possible to carry a power bank on an airplane, and if so, is there a risk? There is always a risk for shipping. Firstly, it all depends on the specific battery, on the materials of its manufacture and power. Secondly, from its use. It is better, of course, to read a book or sleep, and leave the portable for use already at the place of arrival. But, in general, you should not worry about anything, as modern branded chargers are of high quality. Manufacturers expect buyers to use them in aircraft.
Much depends on the materials of manufacture. You need to be as careful as possible about transportation if you plan to fly with foreign aircraft, for example, when flying in Europe or Asian countries. On the official websites of companies there are even lists with information on which specific power banks can be transported.
Carrying in the luggage compartment is prohibited, as there is a possibility of spontaneous combustion, there is no such risk when transported on a trip or on a bus. And how, then, are consignments of commercial goods transported with cargo? During transportation for sale in another country, the manufacturer places the batteries in special containers where there is no risk of fire and explosions.
Pay attention ! Laptops and tablets must also be charged, they can also be checked. Carrying a discharged device is almost impossible - it can be considered an explosive under the guise of a laptop, for example.
What is The Danger of Lithium-ion Batteries
Lithium-ion batteries, which are used in the manufacture of power banks, are unsafe. The main danger is the possibility of fire or explosion. The temperature generated after such a situation is high enough to burn through the aluminum fuselage. Because of this, deformation of the housing and depressurization can occur. The restriction on transportation did not arise out of the blue. In 2013 and later, there were situations that led to dangerous situations on board the aircraft during the flight. The possible smoke of the aircraft is also dangerous. All this creates turmoil, panic among passengers, which is unacceptable for air travel.
Today, most airlines have introduced restrictions on the transportation of power banks and other batteries. There are restrictions in hand luggage, for luggage. Even in the transport compartments of an aircraft, transportation is associated with the implementation of certain rules. Usually, airlines rarely prohibit the transportation of power bank devices on an airplane completely, but limit their allowable power and volume.
Terms of Transportation For Different Companies
Permissible figures for power, battery capacity in an aircraft, standards vary between companies, but are approximately the same. The largest Russian carriers (Aeroflot, Ural Airlines, UTair and others) have the following conditions:
- The allowed battery power is up to 160 Wh. The company sets a limit on the power of the power bank based on its own observations.
- Several airlines put forward a requirement to carry them separately from laptops, smartphones.
- Each airline decides how many power banks can be carried, but most do not allow more than 3 at a time.
Airline Requirements or How to Transport The Battery
We can highlight the following points regarding the transportation of batteries:
- The battery must be charged, but in percentages from 10 to 30. The minimum is for it to pass the test if necessary, but not more than 30% to be allowed on board. If you plan to buy a power bank before traveling by plane, then you can buy with a capacity of about 20,000 mAh. Then 30% of these 20,000 mAh will be enough for 2-3 charges for sure.
- The maximum capacity of the powerbank is 20,000 mAh. With a higher power, carrying on board is not allowed. The most optimal capacity is 10,000 mAh.
- The battery must be marked or labeled. By the way, the marking is preserved and lasts a little longer than a sticker, which can be easily torn off and erased. It is not possible to replace it with another one.
- Transportation is allowed only in hand luggage. Although some foreign airlines write about the admissibility of being carried in baggage, it is better not to do this. In this case, there is a risk that due to the charger they can be removed from the flight.
Of course, there are other requirements that airlines impose, but they apply to batteries for other equipment, including medical devices.
Is it possible to take a power bank in luggage or hand luggage already known to those who fly often. But in connection with transportation in luggage, problems still arise on almost every flight. Transporting a power bank on an airplane is not a difficult task. It does not take up much space in the bag and weighs very little, so you can take it with you.
How to Carry on an Airplane
The number of rules, the severity depends on the airline whose services you use. Basic baggage rules:
- With the exception of some Chinese companies, batteries cannot be carried in the luggage compartment.
- The device needs a label that confirms the characteristics of the device.
- No battery damage. They create a fire hazard when the battery is used.
- The device must be charged at the time of testing. If it does not work, it may be considered defective and removed from the owner.
- If you do not know for sure whether specific devices will be allowed to be transported, then you need to look at the corresponding marking on the sticker.
Typically, on portable PowerBank batteries, the battery power is written in two ways: mAh or Wh. Suppose, on the power bank, the power is indicated in mAh, knowing the operating voltage of 5.1 V and the capacity of 20800 mAh, it will be possible to calculate the same power, but translating Wh (Wh). For example, a 5.1 V 20800 mAh battery, we change according to the formula in W / h: 5.1 * (20800/1000) \u003d 106.8 W / h (Wh).
Why is The Device Seized
A person can lose his autonomous battery if the rules for operating the device are not observed during transportation by aircraft. Always check the health of the power bank before the flight, charge it. So there will be confidence that the bank will not be confiscated at the baggage check stage. Never plug into an aircraft outlet.
In flight, pressure drops occur in the electrical network, which can lead to accidents during flight. Do not forget, only a conscientious approach to the implementation of the rules will help you get rid of the problems that arise. As you can see, the transportation of external batteries is allowed, the main thing is to remember the conditions and rules.
Most portable power banks are allowed on planes, as long as they are carried in carry-on or checked baggage. However, there are some restrictions on the size and type of power bank that you can bring with you on a plane.
Here are some general guidelines for bringing power banks on planes:
- Check with the airline: Each airline has its own rules and regulations regarding what items are allowed on their planes. It's always a good idea to check with the airline before you travel to make sure you can bring your power bank on board.
- Follow TSA guidelines: The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has specific guidelines for bringing power banks on planes. Power banks must be placed in carry-on or checked baggage, and they must not exceed a watt-hour rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery.
- Avoid placing power banks in checked baggage: It's generally safer to carry power banks in your carry-on luggage, as checked baggage is more likely to be damaged or lost during travel.
- Keep power banks in their original packaging: If possible, keep your power bank in its original packaging to help prevent any issues during security screening.
- By following these guidelines, you should be able to bring your power bank on a plane without any issues. However, it's always a good idea to check with the airline and TSA before you travel to make sure that you are following all the necessary guidelines.
Laissez un commentaire